Asus netbooks are not usually known for their good prices, more for the good looks, nice features and amazing battery life. With the 1001P model, Asus tried to prove they can keep the last things but also become very competitive in terms of prices. In fact, this version sells for only $299, being one of the most affordable 10 inch new netbook now available on the market.
And it doesn’t make too many concessions, providing the same build quality, a nice display and keyboard, good hardware, Windows 7 as an OS and an autonomy up to 11 hours.
So, if you’re looking for a cheap everyday netbook, i doubt you can find anything better than this. You can find some somewhat similar gadgets, but nothing better.
- offers the new PineTrail platform with N450 processor, GMA3150 graphics and 1 GB of RAM (upgradeable to 2)
- comes with a 6 Cell battery that can provide up to 11 hours of life on paper (around 7-8 in practice)
- build quality is very good
- has the fancy Seashell shape, though is no longer a glossy device, but has a textured surface both on the lid and arm-rest (something like fake carbon fiber). Thus, you get rid of scratches and fingerprints, but some might not like the feel of the new case
- the 10 inch display is also matte, so you can use it outside too
- touchpad is now delimited from the rest of the case, but there’s still the same single click button seen on the other Seashells, instead of two different buttons
- excellent price for the value
- comes in black, blue, white or pink
- is available in two different versions, with different price tags and features
- connectivity is pretty poor, as there’s only Wi-fi 802.11 b/g, no fast N wireless and no Bluetooth or 3G options
- the regular flat keyboard is decent, but not as good as the chiclet one on the more expensive Asus 1005PE netbook
- storage space is poor, only 160 GB, but you also get the 500GB EEE Storage online
- there’s only a 0.3 MPx webcam offered, decent, but not very good
As you can see from the pros and cons above, the 1001P is a mix-up of good and not so good parts. It’s solid built, offering all the basic stuff. Thus, it would be perfect for a kid, an older person or if you need a portable device for harsher conditions. The matte textured body and matte display also help, as they provide better grip and are less prone to get damaged over time and allow the laptop to be used in almost any weather condition.
Thus, the Asus 1001P offers decent performances, reliability and autonomy, all for a very good price: only $299.
Of course, there are better choices on the market, but they are just buffed versions of this mini laptop, having the same core specs and performances, sprinkled with better keyboards and touchpads, better looks, better connectivity or battery life. And they do come with prices between 10 to 30 % higher, and sometimes they are just not worth it.
So, if you just want a light basic mini laptop with and excellent price tag, the 1001P should be your option. Otherwise, see the other devices in the list of best 10 inch netbooks .
Prices, versions and where to buy
There are two different versions available for the Asus 1001P.
The base version, called the Asus 1001P-MU, offers all the above and will cost you just $299 right now, and you get Free Shipping included. However, only the white version is available for the moment for this price.
There’s also a better version, the 1001P-PU, with bigger storage space (250 GB instead of 160 GB) and Bluetooth, but you’ll have to add a couple of extra bucks for these, for a total of $329 for the black and white (this one is only $309) versions, both with matte casings. But that’s actually not that much, considering you’re not buying a mini laptop everyday and these extra features will come handy in time.
Clicking the links above will take you to more detailed pages about each of these products, where you can see more info, pictures and also have the options to buy them (from buy.com, one of the most trustful web stores in the US).
Oh, and if you happen to live in the UK and look for one of these, you can find them on Amazon for 220 pounds, and it managed to score some great reviews there.